I honestly can’t believe it took me this long to buy a 3DS (XL). I literally have owned every single Nintendo handheld since the Gameboy OG (with the exception of the DSi XL, but I did have an OG DS, DS lite AND DSi). I even had a Game Boy Micro, which I impulse bought JUST because it was new and shiny. I guess there was a huge disconnect in my relationship with Nintendo after the Wii launch and I ragequit Twilight Princess because of the gimmicks. This is most likely the reason I did not purchase a 3DS at launch. And by “most likely” I mean “definitely”.
Steve bought a Pikachu 3DS XL a few months ago and would bombard me with information on upcoming games on the system. Also, there was a great Gamestop trade-in deal AND announcements of no backwards compatibility on the next gen systems. This forced my hand on trading in an inventory of Xbox 360 and PS3 games. I was going to put the money back down on my PS4 reserve but I had enough credit for a 3DS XL and a few games so I was like, fuck it, let’s do this.
Needless to say, my life has changed drastically in the last 6 weeks of owning a 3DS XL. I have been binge buying games.
Here is the accumulation of games I have purchased in the last 6 weeks.
- Fire Emblem: Awakening (still working on it)
- Super Mario 3D Land (beat it, it was great)
- Animal Crossing New Leaf (I don’t even have to say anything about this)
- Mario & Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move (it got IMPOSSIBLE)
- Tetris Axis (because I missed Tetris DS so badly)
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (LOL, beat it in like 2 weeks)
- Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (haven’t played it yet)
- Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon (haven’t beat it yet but it’s AWESOME)
- Resident Evil: Revelations (beat it, it was great)
- Project X Zone (grinding it out to beat it, 8 chapters left, review coming soon)
- Shin Megami Tensei IV (haven’t started it yet)
In addition to all of this, I have purchased 2 DSiWare games and 3 Virtual Console games.
- Puzzle League Express
- Dr. Mario Express
- Super Mario Bros.
- Super Mario Bros. 2
- Punch Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
That is a total of 16 games in a 6 week span. I completed 3 of those games, got mid way through a few of the others AND I have logged over 35 hours into Project X Zone. And I can’t even tell you how much time I have logged in Animal Crossing New Leaf (I’m pretty sure it’s just ∞).
This is definitely the best purchase I made in 2013 so far, and right now is my favorite console AND it looks like it’s going to stay that way for a while with games like The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies and Pokemon X and Y coming out this year.
Nintendo, you have won me back.